View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
whealeandy

need some help here, with my paint color, and a ongoing issue with check engine light

hey guys im new to the forum, Iv been lurking around for ever and i cant really find what im looking for, Iv done tons of research and i still cant pinpoint the issue, i figured id ask your opinions on the color of my truck while im at it also. because i need some touch up paint and i dont want to mess around looking for the right color. I live a waaaayyys from a close paint store and auto parts store to just have them check.
my main issue is my truck's check engine light comes on when i drive a constant pace on the highway, seems to be about 55 when it will come on. If im hauling ass, and constantly changing speeds it doesnt come on.
my truck at times has a hard time starting, it will allmost act flooded, and when i get it to start it will make a huge cloud of white smoke that smells heavily like gas, some times its black smoke.
it doesnt burn oil, or let alone leak any fluids. It is a california emissions truck, so it says on the sticker in the glove box that also has the color codes on it.
i cant seem to figure it out, iv done tests on the egr valve (i think its called that) and it seems to work fine, when i depress the plunger on the back side it revvs up, like iv read its supposed too. is anything el's that could cause this?

it making me want to just drop a 350 with a carb on it and never look back, But id like to keep it original.

there isn't any emission laws here in florida, so i kinda of want to remove all of the emission crap that is on the 305 for California. I'm not exactly sure what can be removed and what shouldn't be.
the last c-20 i owned just had a carb'd 350 in it, and i never had these issues with my old truck

as for the paint from what iv read the paint code is on the sticker in the glove box, it says 62c.
and also says saddle tan on the sticker.. iv looked at both and i cant really decipher between the two, my truck is a metallic color, and from what iv seen online the pictures arn't very detailed. they don't look metallic at all for saddle tan, the closest one iv seen was like metallic chestnut or something like that, but it was of a 70's Corvette i believe

heres my 86 c10 it was shipped here from vegas, and i managed to get a steal off an older lady for it. i still cant believe the condition its in, specially for the price i got it for.
Name:  IMG_20140402_081318328.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  45.5 KB
whealeandy is offline   Reply With Quote