View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #327
SS Tim

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeilers View Post
Found this one last week for sale, YES, I'm trying to buy it. However, seat is not plaid anymore, tilt column replaced, most A/C pieces gone, parchment door panels painted black along with the rest of the blue on the inside. All fixable. Owner has no idea it's a Highlander though.....tee hee. Bottom trim is woodgrain. I seem to recall something in the last 13 pages about that but don't remember what the deal is with black/woodgrain. Was it just up to the buyer which one they got? And it's got the ultra rare Cargo Lamp.......lol. I'd already have it but no where to keep it or park it......out of space and can't find a rental garage around here. But I'm working on that (and the missus!). Seen a lot of Medium Blue on here, no Dark Blue......unless I missed it.
To most people being a Highlander is of no added value and I am sure many second owners saw it as a way to knock the price down when they bought it. The countless number of "Hidden Highlanders" just shows it wasn't popular.

This truck does look to have been a very nice example in Dark Blue/White/Blue Plaid which you don't see very often anymore.
Going to take a fair amount of work (plus $$$$) to bring it back if it needs a full interior repaint and all the trim too. The A/C and tilt alone are huge expenses to correct to factory new.

With the 70 mirrors I'd check closely for 72 doors still being on the truck!

The woodgrain is a variable and something that will take a lot more research if I can find the time. As I said before just go with what is original on the truck and you should be good. However it would not have been a customer selectable option. Plus even with woograined body side moldings the truck did not get the tailgate band! Just the upper and lower tailgate moldings. In cases like this Deluxe Two-Tone the letters were the body color.

Paying to store a project or even a driver is a hard decision. If its just space thats one thing, but spending project money to store a project is often a costly mistake.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote