View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #42
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Blown Head Gasket :(

Up until recently I never second guessed any of my doings on my truck. When the head gasket blew, my truck was driving great, no weird noises, gas mileage was good, throttle response, brakes, steering, gauges were all great and "Normal" until I got home and seen white smoke out the drivers side exhaust pipe. I turned the truck off, waited a moment, turned the key to start but didnt crank the motor and checked my gauges. Everything was normal. So I went inside and went to bed. When I came out to go to work in the morning I started the truck and it sounded different. So I turned it off and popped the rad cap and half my coolant was gone. That's when I knew. It's hard to ignore what happened and to think it cant happen again. This is my only vehicle and I drive it everywhere. I have to because it's all I got.

I was trying to find out if I had a vacuum leak somewhere because I could hear a slight whistling sound today as I was driving the truck. So I started thinking logically what would cause a whistling sound while the engine was running? The only thing that came to mind was vacuum. I know my transmission modulator is brand new, I have the o.e. steel line running off vacuum elbow in manifold. Pcv is new and new hoses. Carb and base gasket and manifold are brand new. So that left me with brake booster or the line to the brake booster. Sure enough the brake booster vacuum line coming off the back of the carb was the culprit. I removed the rubber line from the flared line at the base of the carb. I couldn't blow into the brake booster but I could pul a vacuum on it. So I looked at the hose itself and sure enough there was a cut inside the rubber line where I had forced the rubber line over the flared brake line going to the back of the csrb that I bent and flared myself. Single flare, not double. So I made a new one and double flared it. I also reconfigured the throttle return spring to pull from the front of the csrb to counteract the throttle cable pull.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote