View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #36
custom10nut

Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

During one of my many moves with the Army (1998), I drove mine from Ft Knox Ky to my parents place in the Thumb of Michigan. The plan was to store her there while I got set up at my next assignment. Well, the plan fell through after a dramatic family disagreement, and I ended up driving her to Ft Bragg NC the next day. I took my time enjoying the drive and all the compliments whenever I stopped for food or fuel (I even had a few offers to buy her), and didn’t have any problems the whole way. It was a total of 1300 miles.
Just because I was moving, I had a lot of spare parts and of course my tools, with me, so breakdowns were never a concern.
While I agree that it’s good to be prepared, do you really want to take up the space to carry your whole list? Many of those items are readily available all along the route of your trip. Do a thorough inspection before you depart and replace anything that you think might break.
Whenever and wherever I go, I always carry a good assortment of tools (no matter what vehicle I’m driving), and have found that most often I use them to help others having problems. The only things I’ve ever taken for helping people have been handshakes, hugs, and promises that they’ll let me know they got home safe (that’s a force of habit from being a leader in the Army.
Good luck and safe travels on your road trip.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote