View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #28
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Re: 1979 C10....The last 20 years

I have come to a cross roads with my use and love of the 79 C10. I love the stance the wheel tire package and the look. That being said, I am going 180* the other direction with it starting this winter.

I am working on a deal for a K20 Frame/Axles/205 T-case and going to donate the body from my C10 to the truck I have always dreamed of.

I grew up on a farm in central illinois in the 80s. Like the rest of you my age do you recall at EVERY farm you drove past you saw a 77-80 K20 with a Cattle trailer hooked to it, or stacked full of square bales. These trucks sported directional mud tires and factory duals in most cases. Cocky looking ride height. They made a TV show with a K20 as the star when we where kids. I have to do it, its just in my blood.

The truck that has always been my unicorn was the 78 K20 my dad bought new in 78. Was a 350/400/203 truck with 3.73's He love it, to this day speaks to how tough of a truck it was and how nice it was. Farm life drove it into the ground and it was lost to horse trading long before I was in to trucks.

My dad is 74, my son is 10, I'm nearly 37. Life is ticking away, we are not promised tomorrow. I am going to build the truck of my dreams out of the truck Dad and I have slaved over and put our time into. My dad said I was nuts, but chuckled and said "ya, I'll help" The 10 year old was easy to convince, he likes big trucks.

The plan is to do a little engine swapping with my current 72 Suburban. It has a cammed LQ9 that is strong as an ox. I will use a 4L80E and a 205 Tcase, 4.10 axles and depending on lift I settle on ( 2 or 4 we'll see ) 33's or 35's.

This truck will be a fair weather trailer tow rig and continue its cruise inn duties from time to time. I'm excited, will give me a piece of my childhood past, my current truck and memories of continued gear head stuff with the family!

Here is a pic of the motivation.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote