View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Those plugs will be indicative of what this truck has had thrown at it in its past life as we will all go on to see in my future posts.None of this really bothered me all that much due to the fact once I had the nose off the truck the plan was to have the engine rebuilt anyway.

Now that the motor was out I could take a better look at how the Pacer front end was installed.

Other than being somewhat ugly it served its purpose to a point however, When I had the few opportunities to drive the truck, the steering wheel never wanted to come back straight by itself after going around a corner, indicating that there was some kind of alignment issue. Now remember this initially was just going to be a clean-up resto of sorts.
A couple of months after I bought the truck I had a chance to buy a complete rebuild kit for the Pacer front end on the cheap. So My first thought was rebuild it, align it, and the just drive the sucker. After more drinking and further consideration I realized I may have a more serious issue with the steering. Perhaps the whole front cross member was put in wrong the truck would never steer correctly even after the rebuild. so another decision had to be made.

Well you guessed it.. After measuring, measuring some more, and then marking the center line of the wheel hubs on the frame, it was out with the old ......

And in with the new with a call to Scottshotrods.com
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote