View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Dads79GMC

Dad's 1979 GMC Heavy Half Transformation

Name:  IMG_0186.jpg
Views: 8973
Size:  51.5 KB

Well, thought I'd start a build thread after nearly eight years!!

First off, my Dad purchased this truck in 79 and I've always loved it. I never quite liked that it was a LWB, However, loved everything else about it, even the oyster/cream interior. Dad was a Korean and Vietnam War veteran who finally retired in 1990. He gave me the truck in 2001 after being diagnosed with cancer, which got the best of him later that year. At the time, I had no room for it in town so I sent the truck into hibernation out at my cousins farm where it sat until November 2006.

Upon my return from Operation Iraqi Freedom in November 2006, I brought the truck back from South Dakota, it had been sitting in the elements for six years. It was so infested with mice dropping etc, that I had to drive with the windows down all the way home, yes, in November. Couldn't believe it made it, but it did. I immediately took it down to the frame, began to collect parts, and there it sat.......fast forward.

Upon my return from Afghanistan in 2011, I kind of started in again. I continued to collect parts, had a few things blasted and powder coated (rear end, front end components, cross member etc) and also found a 1979 heavy half SWB rolling chassis on craigslist for $100........Again, the project sat on and off since then.

I figured the only way that I was going to get serious about this project, is if I start a build thread so that I can get the old...."any updates"....."any pictures"...etc. I'm depending on all of you to keep me on my toes. This site is truly outstanding and an inspiration. Be patient, I'm in my 30th year in the Army Nat'l Guard, the last 20 years on active duty, which keeps me very busy.....but I'll find the time and make progress.

I'm missing most of the earlier pics from 2006. I'll slowly bring you up-to-speed over the next few posts.
Attached Images

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016

Last edited by Dads79GMC; 03-07-2018 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Picture Update
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote