View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 09:50 PM   #329
Cautrell05

Re: It's my turn, 47 S10 build

Been working on the spindles for the last couple weeks. It handled fine with the B-body spindles but the steering arm is too long and spaced wrong. Turning radius and Ackerman suffered though. It turned wider than my 99 k2500 crew cab and shoved the front tires in a hard turn just as bad. Did a lot of looking and nothing would work without a bunch of compromise or big money so the only way to get what i want was to build them.

Main requirement is that i don't have to change wheels and don't want to change brake size at this time.

Current pattern in 5x5. 2008 and up Jeep Wrangler hubs are 5x5 and don't need a stub axle to hold them together. Also the base model Wrangler rotors are the same diameter and thickness as the B-body rotors they are replacing so i can run my current calipers.
First step was to mock up the rotor and hub with the suspension to determine pin height and offset. The plywood knuckle might look redneck but it allowed me to visualize what i needed and get measurements. I didn't remember exactly what they were but it gave me a 2 inch drop and i spaced the rotor about 3/8" from the lower arm. From there it was pretty easy to draw out. 1.040" from the hub face to the machined flange for the caliper bracket. Lower ball joint flange is mounted at a 7° angle from the main plate, upper Ball joint ear is 8 1/2" from the lower.
I had a single piece of 12x12x3/4" and some 1x3 to work with. Rough cut the 3/4" to match the pattern i got from the plywood version and cut the hole for the hub and Added a 3/8" spacer for the hub that i will machine down to set my hub height.
The caliper mounting brackets worked out to be flush with the back edge of the 3/4" plate. The plan was to build it for future upgrades. Currently it has the 11.8 inch rotors which is a big as i can go and still fit inside the current wheels. Nice thing i figured out researching is that base model 18 grand Cherokee rotors are 13 inches and the heavy duty version is 14 inch. Or the SRT is i believe 15 inch if i want to upgrade later.
For the initial build the caliper mounts were spaced to the Cherokee caliper and 13 inch rotor. Then I'll build the bracket for my current caliper to fit those mounts.
For the Jeep caliper it came out to 1.040" from the hub flange to the caliper mount. That was easily cut after the hub flange was welded on.
Attached Images

My 47/S10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679723
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote