View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #67
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

First, the paper is done (or at least good enough for now....got 2 weeks to polish it up a little) so now back to your regularly scheduled project

I have been considering your alls input and did some research and then did a BUNCH of measurements and then drew up some stuff in CAD to see how everything would fit up combining the dodge and chevy frames. Well long story short, it doesn't fit up very well. I made up a list to compare the two options and then ranked each aspect. Basically it was a tie initially. Then when I took out the gooseneck hitch (since I don't have a gooseneck trailer right now) using just the chevy frame won out. I have a B&W turnover hitch for the dodge that requires only a small hole in the bed and a drawtite plate hitch that requires a big hole in the bed for the chevy. Well I don't want a big hole....so for now I just won't worry about the gooseneck hitch. Also, the dodge has airbags on it, and the chevy doesn't. I'm thinking I can swap that over pretty easy.

Here is the drawing of how the frames compare.

I think the big thing that put the chevy frame ahead of the dodge is the fact I'd most likely have to move the engine back in the dodge frame anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2D chummins frame.pdf (28.6 KB, 214 views)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote