View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #68
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

So with that decision made, I went ahead and pulled the engine

and then set it on jackstands. Most engines I just set on the oil pan, but was kind of afraid that this engine may crush the oil pan.

So now I have to modify the chevy frame to fit the engine. I'll see what my options are for bolt in kits, but may just make my own. I'll have to do quite a bit of measuring to come up with the mounts/crossmember if I do make them, and then will most likely model everything. I think doing by doing this, I'll come up with a better product than just doing it on the fly.

For the suspension I do not want leaf springs, so I'm hoping I can use the stock dodge control arms. I'm not sure what to do with the coil springs. I'd like to use the dodge springs cause I know they will support the weight of the engine. But, the spring buckets are space way outside of the chevy frame.

For the steering, the dodge stuff sucks from the factory, so I'll be converting to a crossover type steering. I'll probably just make my own. Really its just two links and a few holes. I'm not 100% sure what I will end up doing with the power steering box/pitman arm. Not real sure if it will be all compatible with my needs, so I'll have to do some more research on what others have done for SASs.

I'm also going to be running the hydroboost off of the chevy. The dodge used a vacuum booster (engine has a vacuum pump). However, I may try to use the dodge ABS. As of right now I'm going to keep the dodge ECM. The main function that I need it for is to "control" my alternator which is I bought not long ago.

So, overall, there is going to be A LOT of fabrication work and my plasma cutter and welder are going to get a work out
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote