View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
Ford Assassin

Talking Squarebody Crew Cab Dually 6.0/Turbo/NV4500 Build Project

Hey guys, bought this truck last May. Factory 454 TBI with TH400 truck. Camper Deluxe, power windows/locks, etc. Previous owner had the truck converted to a NV4500 5 Speed (1993 version with the ultra low 1st gear). He also c-notched, air bagged, axle flipped and boxed the entire frame from the cab to the rear bumper, installed a custom gooseneck hitch tied into the frame, converted to rear disc brakes on the Dana 70HD, had the seats recovered, new suede headliner, new carpet, dynomat everything, and recovered the dash pad.

The only major mods I have done is the Dakota Digital VHX gauges.

The original truck had Thorley Tri-Y ceramic coated headers, Edelbrock TBI intake, TB spacer, and custom chip. It did okay on mileage, 14 hwy, 10 city, 9 towing. But I think I can get a bit better mpg with the 6.0.

The original plan was 6BT or a Duramax. Both were scrapped after I found out my early NV4500 couldn't 't be made to work with either.

The next plan was a 5.3, mild cam, with a GT45 turbo.

Last month I stumbled on a cheap LQ4 6.0 from 2500 Van with low miles and bought it. Same basic plan, the cam is a super mild truck grind, Summit 8719. I pulled the heads for inspection, all good after some BTR valve springs. One minor issue is a couple spark plug threads were goobered, so I needed to chase the threads to clean them up before getting bolted onto the block. Went with BTR LS9 head gaskets and bolts. Going to be a low boost setup, so the extra cost of head studs isn't warranted. LS7 lifters and trays are installed, replaced the timing chain with a LS2 replacement.

Using a set of stock truck injectors that have been decapped and flowed. Stock truck intake manifold, return style rails, stock TB, Amazon cast stainless turbo manifold (after a **** ton of flash and spark plug boot clearancing), ebay 31x12x3" core intercooler (painted satin black), etc.

Went with Hooker C10 LS mounting plates with polyurethane mounts. The reason I went with the Hooker plates is because after some trimming, they allowed me to retain a factory style AC compressor. I scored a Denso 10S20F style from a Tahoe/Burb that had factory rear air. The theory is the larger of the two truck compressors will move enough refrigerant to keep the old school R12 A6 system happy. I already have a modern style bar and plate AC condenser up front. The reason I wanted to use the factory compressor is because the turbo manifold is sitting about where an aftermarket bracket would sit to mount a popular Sanden 508/709 compressor.

A bit of progress. Got the 454 pulled and sold on Monday. Got the NV4500 mated to the LQ4 yesterday and dropped into the truck.
Attached Images

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote