View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Bing

Survivor 82k 1972 Cheyenne - need help identifying upholstery?

Hello all,

I'm new here, and just picked up this 1972 C10 Cheyenne Camper Special in Medium Olive & White. Original survivor truck, turned 82,000 miles on the way home.

350 4bbl V8, Turbo Hydramatic, factory A/C, power disc brakes, power steering, tinted glass, cargo lamp, AM radio, full wheelcovers, heavy duty springs/front sway bar, camper mirrors, full Cheyenne interior. Runs and drives fantastic - cruised comfortably at 65-70 on the highway for the 70 mile trip home in the rain - had to hold it back, cause it just wanted to cruise!

Has a rear step bumper and period trailer brake installed - anyone know if those could be factory or dealer installed? I have another regular rear bumper I'll likely install to give it a cleaner look. I'm assuming this would have had the woodgrain strip on the tailgate? If so, I'll try to source one of those.

Bed is in amazing shape - very few dings.

Needs new outer rocker panels on both sides, plus a cab corner on the driver's side. Probably will replace the RF fender as well and do a bit of preventative touch up where it needs it, but just what needs to be done, as I'd like to retain its excellent original paint job and 'survivor' status.

Door trim is delaminating - is this repairable, or will I have to source a replacement?

Interior is in surprisingly good shape - dash has no cracks, carpet is mint. I really need some help finding out the history on the seat - the upholstery appears OEM, and according to the former owner is original, but I can't find anywhere where this was an option - from what I've searched on here, the Cheyennes usually had vinyl seats, the Custom Deluxe Highlander had plaid, and Cheyenne Supers had houndstooth upholstery. The driver's side is fraying unfortunately - but I have no idea whether this is OEM, or whether to replace it with the usual vinyl upholstery. A few people have looked at it and all said it looks to be original, but all brochures, option codes, and pictures I can find don't show any such option. Either it's a rare anomaly or a very good reupholstery job. Steering wheel is very cracked & needs replacement, radio doesn't work, but everything else works great, down to the cigarette lighter!

Looking forward to your guys' input - I'm looking forward to getting this freshened up and looking great again. Need to replace the fan clutch, look at a grabby brake, fix a non-op gas gauge, replace a non-op radio, etc. then move on to a bit of bodywork and trim polishing, and it'll be good to go.
Bing is offline   Reply With Quote