View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #15
SLIMJIM

Re: Title trouble on my 69

The best thing to do is find out if the vehicle has been reported stolen. Run the VIN at your DMV, just telling them that you are "thinking" about buying the vehicle. They will run the VIN through NCIC, you states Law enforcement division, and the DMV's software. The software will usually only date back 5 to 10 years. If it comes up clear, you will have two options: a title service, or DMV for a title. If you go with a title service, the protocol will be, fill out their Bill of Sale/Affidavit, send it in with the fee they charge, and wait 6 to 10 weeks. You will get a bill of sale, letter of title law, and a tag receipt. Take this paperwork to your property tax office and pay the taxes, take the tag receipt and paperwork down to your DMV give them your insurance company info and tell them you want to register and tag it. Most insurance companies will insure a new purchase for thrity days automatically so you wont need to call them. Dont just ask for a title, because they might get suspicious and want to inspect it. You get your title plates and stickers and you are done.

As far as your protocol at a DMV in Idaho, I dont know. If you were here in SC, your first step would be get a Vehicle History form. Fill it out send it in, and wait three weeks. Track down whoever the vehicle last belonged to, and god only knows what kind of runaround the people will give you. It might take longer than the 6 weeks a title service takes. My point is, with the DMV, you do not know how long it will take to get a title. The only thing you need to be concerned with is if the vehicle is stolen and the possibility of trying to gain ownership of something that rightfully belongs to someone else. As long as no one has filed a report with NCIC, it is fair game. If your truck is like my 2 wheeler, it was abandoned under a shed for twenty years, and whoever last owned it doesn't deserve it anyway. So, my advice is go with a title service. You will be much better off, and not have to do any leg work.

Good luck.

SLIMJIM