Thread: 4 link
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Super73

Re: 4 link

Can you say what your leverage ratio is? I'm sure you know this, but your weight each bag is seeing is based on:

Sprung weight * Leverage ratio / 2

So let's take my truck for instance. I have right about 1,350 sprung weight on my rear axle at my current ride height. Where the factory spring is located on a 60-72 makes a leverage ratio of 1.2..

1,350 * 1.2 / 2 = 810lbs each spring.

Now, lets take that and figure your running a 4-1 arm. With a leverage ratio of 4-1 it would look like this.

1,350 * 4 / 2 = 2,700lbs each bag.

I don't doubt your suspension works well for some simple street driving and car shows. You do nice work. I would however be concerned using for drag racing. Here is why..

What is keeping your upper control are from wanting to wrap up under a hard launch with axle wrap? There is not gusset tying it back to the frame front or rear. As you launch a vehicle hard on a sticky track, the axle wants to raise the pinion upand around to the back. It's going to put stress on that upper control arm. An additional gusset would help a lot.

Another issue with it for drag racing, is your instant center of gravity is based on where the upper and lower control arm meet in a side view. IE they never will converge because they are perfectly parallel, putting your ICG at infinity. The rear is always going to want to squat under a hard launch. The lower it is, the harder it's going to squat because your ICG is pointed down. If you raise the truck you might be able to get the infinity ICG to pass through or above the true center of gravity which will induce antisquat, planting the tires harder. But i don't see there being enough angle in the upper and lower control arms to do so. And, if they do, your going to be sky high in the rear. Perhaps making the UCA and LCA angle towards each other so the do converge would help. Also perhaps raising their mounting points to build some antisquat ability in for chassis tuning would be a benifit.

One other thing i might want to know is, what happens to pinion angle hen the truck is raised/lowered? That's going to have some affect on things when drag racing..

Now, please don't take this constructional criticism as I'm bashing your work, because I'm not.. The question was, "just wondering if yall think this setup ^ would hook up on the track with a 10 or 10.5 slick and 300-400hp on my 84 c10?" I think for it's intended puropse, it's probably great, but for a truck that is going to be subject to some serious sticky launch areas and getting beat on, with out some changes, I would be leary of it.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote