View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 AM   #388
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
and I thought I was hitting bumps in the road with my build ... bad dinged up and scratched repop bumper was replaced by Jeff Cooperrestorations in less than a month great guy to deal with .....good luck on the rest of the story
I've had a share. Among others,

Sent my A/C across country to Florida, three times. They did great work work, only to pack the parts wrong damaging the finish, twice. I was just a little angry with them the second time. I have a free extended warranty That was about a year in the making.

Sent my glass moldings out. Yeah the &%% polished everything, including the rears that needed work. They claimed the dents couldn't be tamed. Found a master in Tex. Great work, right up until he packed the lower rear. Imagine if you will a PVC pipe inside a tube for overkill my part, only so the Texan would recap the tube only, with a single piece of used tape. So I had to send it back again. Another year in the making, or close.

Over a year to receive the correct bench seat cover. Now my bench repair/upol./ floor guy is in no hurry, we figure by Dec. Sure, counting the time to receive the cover this has been an 18 month deal, so far.

Picked up what was supposed to be an A+ rechromed or show quality rear bumper. Wholly Toledo, the bumper's exterior was stamped with a part number. Got my money back. Geezus.

Cant forget radiators. Yeah the first failed, I hated it anyway. Second was installed just long enough to run new trans. lines, because it was junk as well. Picked up "the best" from US radiator. Yeah, that failed. Surprising really, they're generally a high quality build IMO, bad luck? So they sent me a new one, which dang, they missed on the filler assembly, the cap's wing edges the radiator bracket. They said so sorry and wow, we'll send a new one performed by the A-team. I didn't push it, four installs are already enough.

Can't forget the 400TH either. Yeah that was rebuilt. Years later it failed with not so much as a mile on it, $1600+ gone. Another $1700 got me a great shop and they even R/R, cleanly. It's nice to have connections. I was lucky, how's that for half full? Yeah, BS, but my bud felt sorry for me

Nearly two years to get hubcaps, though that didn't hold anything up really.

The tailgate had to be repainted, unfortunately the "painter" missed a tailgate handle hole, I take blame as well for not preventing/planning for it. We missed a couple molding holes in the rest of the body too, though on unpainted parts. I can say where to drill now I don't want to talk about my rebuilt steering box that leaks. Perhaps it sat dry too long, couldn't tell you. I can learn to live with it, that's what rags are for.

I don't know, seems COVID mentality is a reason for some mis-steps. But I've been blessed a lot. Mostly the paint/body/body build lead guy, we did it twice (dry run). I couldn't have done this without him.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-27-2023 at 01:10 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote