View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
jeffg1010

Re: Suggestions for replacing Suburban Headliner

Mine is made of Luan and covered with modern headliner fabric (available at any Joann fabrics for about 7 bucks a yard). It really quiets things down with fabric up there to absorb some sound.

By using the Luan (a form of panel board available at Lowes), you have a more solid surface to get custom with, meaning you can actually mount stuff in your headliner. I got rid of the front and rear (metal) rail supports and just use the two side rails to hold the headliner up. The Luan isnt flexible enough to make the shape bends, but it will hold its own radius with no problems. I asked a custom shop what they were building headliners out of and they gave me that idea as a very affordable option.

I built a overhead center console with a drop down section for my stereo unit. It also has LED dome lights and a 12.1" flip down TV/DVD combo.

Needless to say... I wasn't going for the "stock appearance".

But, this is my daily driver and I wanted it to be practical (I have 3 kids.)

Behind the 2nd row of seats, there is two 6x9 speakers built into the headliner, and at the rear doors, there is two 5 1/4" speakers built into the headliner.

All said and done, I have about $400 bucks in my headliner (including the flip down TV/DVD -$50 on ebay)

I need to take some better, more updated pics, I took these with my phone the day I was installing it in back over the summer. But, this gives you the idea.

1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote