View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #13
sick472

Re: Poor Quality reproducion tail light housings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
....I can definativly say that the Guide bucket does not have a slot for the tab. It was my assumption that the tab prevented over compressing the gasket and uniform seating of the leans to the bucket. I know I have aftermarket lenses because I replaced them years ago.

So, the "guide" buckets do not have a slot.
Agreed! The aftermarket gaskets are a very thin wanna-be and do not work well with the original or after market lens'. I put about a 3/16 to 1/4" diameter string of rope caulk in the bucket first where the gasket would be sitting, then added the thin after market gasket, then the lens. The gasket had to be stretched some to work it around the screw holes. This allows for a tight seal and the after market gasket keeps the lens from sticking to the rope caulk.

Or you could just grind the tab off...then the lens will sit a bit further back in the bucket.

EDIT: BTW, I stopped using CJ Pony during a F@rd project several years ago due to all the above. GMC Pauls gets most of my money for my C10 project. You ever wonder why GMC Pauls does not carry ALL the parts LMC does? It's because many of those parts are junk. If your family owned outfits don't want to deal with the headache of bad parts...they don't sell them. The larger conglomerates sell them, but just don't make it east to return or get the money back.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 01-25-2021 at 01:49 PM.
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote