View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Plastic door hinge bushings???

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
guys i find it odd that plastic/nylon was used also.
but i gotta say this, "most" of the ones i pulled were usually not in too bad of shape after all those years.

i also had to sleeve a hinge once.the long hole in the hinge was pretty wallowed out so i drilled it oversized round again and i used some tubeing and sliced it lenghtwise until it was tight in the hinge and pin. that hinge worked really well and is still tight today.
I know, old thread but I had some relevant info that I thought was worth sharing. My 69 stepside had the plastic bushings. They were hammered beyond belief and it allowed the pins to damage the hinge bodies. I had time to kill in the machine shop at night so I decided to salvage the parts.

I machined the hinge bodies out to the next larger common bushing size and added the needed flange clearance between the hinge halves. They now use common industrial quality bronze bushings. While I was at it I added some clearance notches for grease fittings in the core between the halves where they would be accessible from the door jamb.

I even made some 4340 steel hinge pins while I was at it since my originals were junk.

I also ended up replacing the very worn down detent assembly friction material with a similar rough texture high density industrial plastic we had in the scrap pile. Not sure what it is specifically but it looked much like the original material. Rough black with lighter gray specks of texture. The original is probably a brake lining material with a sky high asbestos content
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote