View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #63
AJs72K5

Re: AJs 72 Pavement Pounder build

UPDATE 10/7/08: Been working like crazy over the weekend and the last several evenings trying to get the truck driveable. There's a Show-N-Shine at the local 4WP this weekend. After getting the tranny and tcase into the rig it's been trying to wrap up all the little stuff associated with doing one of these builds. Here's where the story's at:

I had some new hydraulic hoses made and plumbed the new tranny cooler. I used some angle iron for a little extra strength and notched out the ends to serve as tabs. Came out pretty good, I think.

Next was wiring up the lockup for the torque converter. I went with a switch type, so's the control freak in me could decide when it would lock up. Mounted it on the shifter tower for now. Unless you know it's there, you don't really know it's there.

Put on the new Ruffstuff D44 diff cover. It's a great pic of my steering stabilizer, but a lousy pic of the cover

Order up some driveshaft bling-bling from Thrash Driveshaft (a local shop). I had a new front CV shaft made...it's got a Spicer CV for a bit more travel and durability. And decided to go CV on the rear. They took my old rear shaft, which was still in good shape, cut the end off and put a Spicer CV head on it. With the BBC454/700r4/SYE241, my rear shaft (34")actually came out 2" shorter than my front shaft (36"). One thing to note...since the spline count is the same for both the front and rear output shafts, you can put any flange from the front output on a 208 or 241 on the rear output. You'll still need to machine off 1/4", which is what I'll be doing to run the new CV rear.

Other miscellaneous stuff included bleeding out the brakes, retorque-ing my shackle bolts to 45ft/lbs (we originally put them on super tight with an impact....mostly cuz I didn't know any better), put the exhast back together, and put the tires on. This is the closest the truck has been to "put together" in several months.

The new shafts still have to be put in. But, I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve for the 241. One is dependant on a part I ordered from Kert...we'll see if it comes in tomorrow . I'm also working thru a slick cable shift idea in my head...we'll see how that pans out. For now, I'll have to crawl under the truck to shift it. Oh well....

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 10-07-2008 at 11:41 PM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote