View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #226
jaros44sr

Re: 70 Blazer Frame Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCanine View Post
OK Jim,

I looked at your picture...and I hope I'm on the same page with you. What I see is the retaining washer, which you should be able to just pick off. Two spindle or lock nuts should be on either side of that. One of those nuts should have a small dowel that engages the holes in the retaining washer. The Lisle part numbers you have look like 4WD spindle nut sockets...you definitely need one of those to break these down (and what I would assume you had to use to take the first lock nut off if it was assembled in the correct order). I got my socket off the rack for $20 from AutoZone (OEM brand, part #25072A), but everybody's got them I think. That socket engages the lock nuts, not that retaining washer.

Here's a good hub breakdown link...it's a Jeep Dana 44...but the sequence is the same:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-14.html

If you're talking about the locking hub assembly themselves...I didn't have to do any breakdown there...I slid the old Warns out and the new Warns in.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, ok, you were on the right page, i was not! In fact i had the right tool, just didn t remove the retaining washer, picked that off, and now at the next retaining nut. PO didn t assemble with all the pieces. Luckily, i have a 4X4 shop around the corner, and he has all the OEM parts that were missing, but first, i believe i have a cross threaded nut
Starts to spin freely, then binds

Good link, thanks for sharing, and your time. God knows you have your hands full

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote