Thread: Header advice
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Header advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Not true. When headers are hooked up correctly with good quality gaskets, and fasteners not overtightend... they work flawlessly.

Yup...

To the OP... if your truck is not lowered where you're layin' frame. Just get a set of long tube headers that actually were made to fit the truck you have. Headman Hedders makes some great street headers for these trucks, that come either painted black, or 2 different ceramic coatings. They fit and work great. I have them, on my truck. A 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom.

Gary
I agree with this one. A good set of long tube headers will give you more of that 300HP that you have in your engine to your drive train. The mid-length headers will make a fair change in the performance, but the long tube units will open the process up that much more. As for headers being a constant problem, I also agree if they are mounted properly then there will be years of usage without problems. Most people experience problems with the header bolts backing out and causing leakage at the heads, or the gaskets at the collectors leaking. I have found an answer to these issues in my years. First before installing the header bolts, wrap the bolts with teflon tape, just like you would a threaded fitting for piping. Then put the bolt into a clean bolt hole. Once the engine is started and warmed, snug the bolts one last time and they will stay where you leave them. Don't worry, the teflon will not burn and the bolts will come back out when you want them out. Just rewrap the bolts when you put them back in again. The collector bolts work great if you double nut them to keep them in place.

As for gaskets, many use the copper gaskets, but I like to use a Felpro header gasket, but I do coat them with Copper-Coat gasket sealer, so virtually I am also using a copper gasket. The headers in my trucks have been there for years and I have had no leakage on them.