Thread: 47-55.1 Crack in the cross member
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 06:19 PM   #22
mr48chev

Re: Crack in the cross member

It would if that one was soft or worn out but it looks to be in good shape. I've got the struts and stock swaybar off a 76 out back and those bushings still look decent with probably 100K on them and they have been sitting out in the weather Since the late 80's. They don't tend to fail as much as the ones on the bigger Fords from that time frame. I used to replace those fairly regularly when I was doing front end work. That stock MII suspension is overbuilt and most likely stronger than a lot of the tube control arms with the Volarie ball joints that are on the market.

I'm still thinking that there is a badly bent sway bar bracket or possibly the strut on that side is bent from impact. If you run out in the garage or driveway and jack up any rear wheel drive rig with a front swaybar on it with a jack in the middle of the crossmember or on a two post lift with the tires hanging down the sway bar link is going to be pulled towards the front at the top not pushed to the back. Something is wrong there and the cause of the problem (s)

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote