View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 72 Sierra Grande wiring - still at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock50 View Post

I have three leftover unconnected wires from the crazy quilt harness. First, a black wire, maybe 18 gauge, that APPEARS to be attached to the solenoid (very hard to see that) and was attached at the other end to a junction block mounted on the passenger side front fender. Then there are a pair of wires, blue and yellow, running together in wrapping tape that emerge from the cowl bundle near the heater blower and connected into the snarl of wires near the junction block.

Big question is why the ignition switch is not sending power to the solenoid and probably not to the HEI ignition module. Looking at that today, but testing ideas welcome.

Bill in Virginia

I'm betting the wire you are calling Blue (the one wrapped with the Yellow) is actually the 12 gauge Purple wire that is supposed to connect to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. Many times that wire will change color from Purple to Blue from the heat. Unwrap it a little bit and I'll bet it is Purple. Connect that wire to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and the starter will work. If you have an HEI you don't need the yellow wire.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote