View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 88-98 rearend in a 78 1/2 ton ?

Like said above it is a box standard 8.5 10 bolt, but i say it is a good rear-end for a true rated 1/2 ton. My 2018 does fine with the slightly upgraded 8.6 10 bolt. Mind you I only have 28,000 miles, but i have faith. Plus there cheap to rebuild or upgrade.

All semi floaters the outer bearings take a beating if uses hard, and they should be checked. Or atleast the wheels wiggled to see if you can feel to much play.

If I were to replace a 8.5 10 bolt in a 1/2 ton, and if for what ever reason. On a budget it would be a brand F 8.8, and money 💰 no issue it would be a 9 inch. The 12 bolt would only be for some 100 point resto. It cost alot, and offers no advantages at its price point. With my limited skill I could build a epic 8.8 for just over 1/2 what a new 12 bolt costs, or what a used one cost typically.

Either way I would use a main cap support cover like this.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Moser/718/710...IaAre4EALw_wcB

Every rear end I tore up or all 4 of them was be cause the main caps walked under pressure of my ignorance. Every rear end I had with a cover lasted through my stupidity. These were not race vehicles, but me doing what ever for fun.

I do like the wider axle idea because I love flush fitting tires.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote