View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #48
hewittca

67-72 Development/Concept Photos Galore!

I hope everyone is enjoying these photos as much as I am enjoying uncovering them. I have for you two more sets of photos that I am happy to share. As with the first post, I am greatly appreciative of the GM Heritage Center for sharing these with me and granting me permission to post them here.

Part 2, Early Development

For this first set, I was able to dig a little deeper into the development photos and came across a very early 67-72 clay model mixed in with a set of 60-66 development photos that I have. Yes, I will post all of the 60-66 development photos in a new thread on the appropriate board, but here I will just include the early 67-72 clay model. If you look at the original set of photos, you will notice this is a different clay model that has smaller car-like proportions. It almost looks to be similar in size to the revived El Camino to return in '64, which was undoubtedly in the late stages of development at the time of these photos.

-April 1963
In these photos, they are still in the process of building the clay model, which is probably the first full size model they built for the 67-72 trucks. Note in the background the full size profile drawings of the truck and the futuristic concept up above them. What I found most interesting in these photos is on the wall to the right of the rear shot. There is a profile drawing of the 67-72 truck alongside what appears to be a profile drawing of the '73-up C10. So as early as 10 years prior to release they already had the basic shape of the next two generations of C10s!

-June 1963
In these photos, it appears that the clay model from the previous photos was refined to give a better representation of the truck as a whole. It looks like they decided to go with the right side profile design from the previous photos, versus the left side profile which reminded me of a '63 Impala. The hood is also revised and is very close to the production hood design.

After this, we pick back up where the original post started a year later in March of 1964. During this time, it appears they used the same basic design elements, but built the dimensions out to more truck-like proportions.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread

Last edited by hewittca; 09-22-2016 at 10:23 AM.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote