View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #28
Father&son56project

Re: Project Fargolet

Thanks Joedoh and Tempest67. The build is slowly moving along steadily (but a bit slower right now as I have busy with the spring chores on our lot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
looking really good.
not to be a jerk or anything, but you mentioned you were needing to move the rear axle wheelbase ahead some. did you know the frame slides inside itself around the driver's foot area? it's welded at the factory but a lot of guys get the right wheelbase on the s10 by grinding the welds off and slipping the frame sections together or apart.
I know, kinda late now. looks like to got it figured out anyway. nice work.
Dsraven, I appreciate and will always happily take advice and suggestions! In this case I believe I found a quicker solution to the wheelbase problem, thanks to skymangs and kysavage. Here’s an update that includes it.

With the nice weather I am finally able to work with the garage bay doors open, so I did some cleaning and grinding of the frame, and then completed the welds on the various mounts. The engine mounts however required some welding on the underside, and I had never done overhead mig welding before. Needless to say it was not pretty. After my first attempt I realized that it would be far simpler to just lift the frame onto its side and do those welds in the horizontal and vertical positions, so that’s what I did.

As for that 1 ˝ inch adjustment that was needed to centre the rear wheels in the rear fenders, I simply drilled another hole in each axle perch and another hole in each shock mounting plate. Here is a shot of both the perch and the shock plate with the additional holes:

And the axle drops right into the new position, 1 ˝ inches forward to give me perfect centering of the rear axle in the fenders, with just the drilling of 4 holes:

With all this done I could finally slap some tremclad paint onto the frame, just to make things clean and presentable:

I’m glad I got this done last weekend, as “the nice weather” I referred to above turned out to be a temporary thing. As I am writing this posting I am having a nice hot coffee while watching the snow falling outside.
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote