View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
Brocoli Wad

Re: New(ish) Guy from Sunny Florida

Well, it’s had lots of work from at least two PO’s. Fairly well maintained, lots of rust in the bed, the doors and top of the cab. Frame and underneath is pretty good. Lots of loose hardware I’m finding and tightening, emergency brakes need work, inner rocker on passenger side is pretty well rotted.

It’s had a mid 80’s 305 installed with some form of cam and an edelbrock 1406, a 700r4 trans and is lowered maybe 2/4. It’s an original a/c truck but the compressor’s missing. It and the bracket probably didn’t work with the swap. Has a 90’s(?) split bench poorly but serviceably installed.

I’ve been getting things squared away as time, money and experience allow. Done 54 items on the list so far, some big some small. The list of things to do grows smaller but more daunting!

Just last month I took it to Gettysburg, PA as its first big trip. All went well except the trans got hot and kept venting expensive atf overboard. Didn’t understand what was going on until I got home, just kept dumping it in at each stop. Long days. I’m no auto mechanic, but I’m getting better!

We enjoy riding around doing errands. My goal was to get a truck cheap, but roadworthy (house needs a roof). Ride and fix. It’s every bit of that. Just making a reliable driver is the goal. I’m there now. Everything from here on is not necessary, just desired or regular maintenance.

It gets lots of attention and comments. Plenty of folks have these trucks in their past and in their hearts. Many stories and smiles.

Once society returns to some semblance of normal we’ll be going to the Dearborn Street Car Night here in Englewood, first Saturday of each month. We’ve gone numerous times to admire, now we can bring one up with us!
Brocoli Wad is offline   Reply With Quote