View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
CJM72

Re: Swap Gears or Whole Axle

I should add a few details. The axles would be $500 shipped. No locker. Condition is generally unknown as they are coming off a non-running 72 blazer. It would be hard for me to install them without at least freshening them up (i.e seals, bearings, u-joints, brakes, etc.). I'd have to store them outside under a tarp for the next 6+ months until I can play with them this winter. It still may be a better idea then swapping the gears in what I have. I don't actually know what it will cost to get new gears set up and I'd probably end up freshening up what I have since it is apart.

I guess the question is, can you swap the bearings and seals on an axle without having to do a complete set-up? If the answer is 'not exactly' then I'm potentially paying $500 for the gears themselves (which are in unknown condition). If I can just clean up the outer bearings, seals and brakes, maybe it's worth it. If I'm dead set on getting a posi, then I'm probably better off holding out and just rebuilding what I have.

I imagine my estimate of $2k for both axles is probably quite low if I'm paying for the labor. I don't have access to case spreaders, but could get dial gauges and certainly have hand tools. I'm an engineer by trade, so I'm tempted to just give it a go and see how bad I can mess things up!
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote