View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
byrd
Union Electrician

Re: Brighter Instrument Bezel Lights - But not with LED's

Thank you for the great info!!! that is what I was wanting to know. I have had my hands on about 300-450 of these dashes give or take a few, and by far the biggest issue I have seen with them is the PCB being burnt on the lighting circuit. They are usually caused by the owner trying to see their old dash at night with brighter bulbs. The LED's are by far the best option for 4 reasons,
1. low wattage for the use old and tired wiring harnesses
2.10 times brighter than stock bulbs
3.will last pretty much forever(10,000 hour average life span)
4. they create virtually no heat.

The cost is the set back though, a good set of four(all that is needed for task lighting of the dash) will run you about $12-15 shipped from www.superbrightleds.com. But a 194 will cost you at least .75/each and a 168 even more $1.25 or so, plus the cost of gas and time to go ($5 for 4 bulbs and gas), plus replacing it again in a few years, I still think the LED bulbs are the best deal overall.
The 904 are still 2.5 times the current so I would use them with caution not for the heat,but from the current overheating the PCB
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote