View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
SCOTI

Re: Hidden Hitch for 73-87's?

Well I've been doing homework & haven't given up.

The Sir Michaels 'roll-pan' hidden hitch looked the most promising @ first glance, but the more you looked, the worse it was. The main problem is their hitch is designed for a roll pan application so there's no worry about bumper brackets gettin' in the way of the hitch brackets mounting on the side of the frame. But, I'm using a bumper & the brackets are a concern.

Problem #2 is the height. Since the hitch is designed to hide behind the license plate box (LPB) of the roll pan, it's positioned about 1.5 - 2" higher than the LPB of a GM sport bumper. This would have required spacing the hitch down to center it properly w/the LPB. Spacing a hitch to center it where you want isn't a good option IMO so back to square one . . ....

I dropped the ECE hitch from my 68 & w/a little 'creativity', it will work. In fact, I feel it's close enough that I'm sending an installation 'write-up' to ECE for consideration to slightly modify their current hitch & expanding to the 73-87 market. We'll see how it goes once I get the new hitch early next week.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote