Thread: Tire Pressure ?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesj2
The only bad advice is from Longhorn Man. As far as the Ford issue, can you say TIRE DEFECT. AAA estimates 15% of drivers have improper tire inflation and the NHTSA recommends using the vehicle tire label pressures.
The ford deal was not a tire defect, it was the low tire pressure. If you were to go to australia, you would find the Explorers were doing the exact same thing...however, they had good years on them from the factory. After all the news and everything on the roll overs, Ford sent out letters to Explorer owners telling them to bump up the tire pressure to 35 or so. (exact details have escaped me)

As far as NHTSA goes, I'll believe the tire companies, and indy car pit crews before I'd listen to them.
And yes, I have spoken to reps from BFG, good year and michilin when i did a report in high school.
And also, as far as the indy car pit crews, My boss is the tire guy for one of the teams, I have met Mario Andreti, and some other indy yahoos. We (my boss and I) spent hrs just talkin to the pit guys as they showed us all the stuff they do, torn down motors, trannys in a million pieces, and there shop was spotless too. Totally awsome.
Team andreti spend about 1/2 a million in tire research alone last year.
Untill the desk jockeys at NHTSA can match any of this, I could care less than what they say.

More proof? Look at LUV2XCLR8's post...just shy of 100K on OE tires!
I knew a guy in Tx who had done the same thing. He removed the OE tires off his 82 ram charger at 110K becouse they were dry roted so bad it was scarey. Still had plenty of tread left too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C30Flatbed
Great thread. My 2 cents: The heat comes from the flexing of the sidewalls. More pressure reduces the flexing and so reduces the heat buildup. More pressure also reduces rolling resistance which improves gas mileage.
Very well put. You put this into words I was unable to find last night. Thank you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote