View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
edgooch

Re: 8.1L and 4L85e swap into a 1972 Custom Camper 4WD

Quick update. This build is going slow but steady. The 8.1, 4L85e tranny and NP241C transfer case are all mounted and aligned with the diff. No drive lines yet. Working on linkages and accrssories. Transmission shift is hooked up and works perfect. Looking for a shifter stick for the transfer case so I can finish fabing linkage.

I have run into two issues not solved yet - exhaust and power steering. Stock 8.1 exhaust manifolds won't fit. I tried a pair of new stock spec reproductions of 70's era 454 manifolds and they are not close to fitting. Now I am looking for a pair of good used original 454 manifolds.

Power steering - the truck is a factory air original so it is important to make it work with the new motor. Taking Dirty Larry's advice, I installed the accessory brackets on the front of engine from a 2004 Topkick 4500. That also requires switching to the water pump, harmonic balancer, tensioner, A/C compressor and power steering pump from the Topkick. So far, I have found everything but the power steering pump.
Attached Images