View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #99
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Haven't been putting much time on this lately. Mostly working on my C10 which is coming along pretty well. I had to order different brake hoses for the rear, which came yesterday. Then realized that all the brake lines supplied with the kit were the older style inverted flare rather than the bubble flare all of the brake components use. So I'll have to redo most of the flares.

The steering is becoming a real hassle. The kit assumes you will use a power steering rack from a mustang. Even if you are doing manual steering, which is odd. The instructions tell you to remove the hydraulic lines from the power rack. They supply rack extenders to fit that rack to help eliminate bump steer. I thought that getting an actual manual rack would be better. Manual steering was available for the fox body mustang but not the newer style. Turns out those manual racks are like hens teeth. But mustang 2 racks are available everywhere. The problem there is I can't find extensions that fit it. It has 5/8"-18 threads and I will probably have to make my own. The next problem is that the inner tie rods are shorter than mustang ones, which are also difficult to find replacements that are longer because nobody made inner tie rods with those 5/8-18 threads. Which means finding longer outer tie rods or making an extension for the inners.

My point to all of this is that this is why projects stall. Parts don't fit or are not available to make work. Or I would have to buy another rack that would be easier to work with but much more expensive and probably will have a harder steering feel. Anyway, enough griping, time to get some work done.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote