View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #121
ryanroo

Re: 1971 K20- project just get driveable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post

Second battle I lost was with the shocks. The fronts have 9 inches of travel and only about 3.75" of that is usable between resting height and fully compressed. I'd like more like 5-6 inches of compressible travel. Similar situation on rear. I ordered these per Summit's website with a search filter of 2.5" lift. Guess I should have just ordered stock height. That would give me about 6" of compressible and 3" of extension which seems ideal.

Also thinking I should trim the U bolts down some. Speaking of them, I need to find a torque value for them:
you dont want to limit the ability of the suspension to droop. with only three inches of downtravel in the shock you will be mechanically limiting it with the shock. that can make for a poor ride and may damage the shock. you also dont want to limit the suspension uptravel with the shock, but if you have a little more shock travel than distance to the snubber you should be good. it sounds like you dont have that.

as for the ubolts, i always make em as tight as i can with an end wrench. then check at 500 miles. and again the next time after that you remember. they will loosen.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote