View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Oil pan gasket replacement for 1972 GMC 402 engine

Not very... First -- drain the oil and disconnect one or both battery cables at the battery. For clearance, remove the bolts holding the motor mount to the frame brackets, leaving the transmission attached to its crossmember.. Remove bolts that hold the fan shroud in place or remove the fan from the water pump.. Remove starter. Remove distributor cap and rotor. Attach a lifting device -- engine hoist, chain fall, come-along -- and lift the engine a few inches.. Remove all the pan bolts and whack the pan with a rubber hammer to break it loose....

I was a mechanic for over 30 years, and when I was full of piss and vinegar, I could have the pan on the floor in less than 1/2 hour...

Let me offer a serious piece of advice.. If you plan to do your own repairs to your truck, get your hands on the GM factory service manual - not Chilton's, or any of those "knock offs sold in the chain stores.. Motors Manuals are good if you can find one.. A few years ago. I found my GM manuals at a free download site.
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote