Old 04-07-2024, 04:27 PM   #252
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Perfect!!!
Thanks!

New page, new problems.

While the truck was on stands waiting on tires, I discovered two things that need immediate attention. First was a coolant leak that was coming from a crack in my block. I never noticed this spot while I was doing the swap, and I've never noticed any coolant on the ground. It appears the leak was slow enough that the coolant evaporated before it dripped. At first I was thinking the worst and that I would need to replace the block, but after reviewing old photos I realized the block has been cracked for quite a while.

I figured if I've been driving it like this the whole time I've had it then it was worth trying something to stop the leak. I decided to add some GM coolant tablets into the radiator and after several heat cycles my leak was gone! I'm not sure how permanent this solution is but I plan to run it and see if this issue ever resurfaces.

The second issue was my idler pulley. The outer lip of the pulley had cracked off and the grooves were starting to cut into my belt. Then I realized I made a bonehead mistake. I was supposed to use a smooth idler pulley for the backside of the belt. I'm not sure how I missed this, but at least I caught it before my belt snapped!

At first I tried a 5.3 truck pulley, but it required spacers and the diameter was too large. Next I tried a 5.7 Camaro pulley and this was the correct one.

One last aside is a correction to my bed alignment. I thought that my bed didn't look quite right, especially when viewed from the side.

After running a stringline I realized how far off it was.

I took some measurements and added the correct amount of spacers under each mounting point and was able to get things much closer.

Bed misalignment is one thing that always jumps out at me when I see a truck, so I'm glad to have this resolved.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote