View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Byoung330

68 long bed Chevy “Harold”

Hey I hope you guys enjoy my build. I shared this already in new member introductions but I figured it would be best to start my build off with the background story so bare with me. My grandad (who along with my grandmother raised me) bought a long bed 68 C10 new. I always wanted that truck and when I was 15 I bought it from him for $750 (all of the money I saved from 2 years of mowing people's lawns, there was a lesson to be learned lol). I learned to drive in that truck and spent many good times with my grandad in or around it fishing hunting or just riding. My grandad and I were very close so we made it our project. He taught me how to be a decent mechanic and other "life lessons" during the time we spent working on it. We cleaned it up and painted it. Installed a new interior, lowered it a little and installed a mild 383 and TH350 and drove it for a few years until I graduated high school. Man I had some good times in that thing! When I went to college I figured I needed something newer to drive back and forth so like a big dummy I sold it. That was 15 years ago this month. Thought about it many times through the years. I even bought a 67 GMC about 10 years ago and joined the forum but didn't keep it very long since work kept me to busy back then. Fast forward to last week. I'm now grown and my grandparents have passed away. My wife and I were reminiscing about when we were kids and the subject of the truck came up and how stupid I was for selling it and how I wished I still had it. I decided I was gonna find another one and fix it up. A few days went by and as I was riding home from work I called my wife as I always do when I'm headed home, before we hung up she said she had a surprise for me when I get home. I was thinking heck yeah a 12 pack! Lol. Well it wasn't a 12 pack duh...it was the address of the guy who owned my old truck! She had called her friend who worked at the tag office and they tracked him down! Why didn't I think of that?! Anyway I sent a letter right then and he called me back on Thursday and said he would sell it to me to just come see him and we would figure out a price. So I went yesterday to see it. Man, sitting in that thing again brought back so many memories! I ended up giving $2000 for it not bad for something that really is priceless to me. Im probably gonna leave it as a long bed though after doing some thinking. I'm gonna add AC and power steering and make it my daily driver. I look forward to learning from everyone! Here is the picture of it now that it's home.
Attached Images

Last edited by Byoung330; 12-24-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Byoung330 is offline   Reply With Quote