View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #27
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: White Vinegar For Cleaning Parts

Thinking about your thread Doc, I really wanted these bumper nuts badly. I have eight already zinc plated. My rear step bumper didn't have them, but a sport bumper does, which I'm using. At any rate, I had three extra for some reason, & stole another six off my C20. That truck is pretty well rusty, so the nuts took some doing.

I don't like soaking parts in vinegar too long or often. These took three vinegar baths as is, two with a pinch of Must For Rust too. You can help the process with WD-40 baths, which I did, twice , I really wanted these nuts. WD-40 loosens up the rust (black) some, that and a scrub pad works well.

First picture is what the nuts looked like after the first vinegar bath, brushing and an oil bath. If it's black it's "still rust" and HARD. That black doesn't bode well for anything short of paint.

Second picture is of them finished, but a little sanding in places due. One nut is pretty bad, but I don't need it.

Third pic is what they'll look like, though the plated nuts were in much better condition from start.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-01-2020 at 08:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote