View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #106
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: The Neighbors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
We have the same problem . Before I met my wife she bought the house we live in now. At the time her son was 6 and these people would parade around naked. She complained but the police said if they cant be seen from the street they could. Were way back from the road so they did nothing about it. Fast forward 19 years they do the same. He even rides his tractor buck naked. They are in their 70s now. Hopeing one hot day hd runs over one of the boys. We planted a double row of arborvities to screen the view. Their pretty nasty people too . We found that their gravel drive going around their barn was on her property. I went to discuss it with them and he basically said he'd get his rifle if I didnt get off his property. I informed him I was standing on my property. He made a gesture like he was going for a firearm . I reminded him I was a retired LEO and I was carrying. He backed off quick.

Two days later we put a few sections of chain link on the property line. Cops came and we showed them the servey . They called the property inspector he measured off the guys barn and our new fence was 3 inches away from his property line. The guy is livid now and yells "how am I supppose to get up to my house "Property inspector says I guess you need a new driveway. Around me there are only a couple of year round residents. These idiots aren't so I only have to deal with them a couple times during the summer
One thing I will say is that if someone drives across your property enough times, it can be considered an easement, from what I've heard. I ain't no lawyer, though. I worked at a shop in Idaho in the mid '70s, and we had a problem with people driving through the lot instead of taking the street around, which must have been a horrible thing, since the difference was at most 100 feet. The bigger problem was when people went through the lot on foot (like on the way to the county fair), and people were stealing parts off the equipment. We found a turnbuckle laying on the ground that had been taken off one side of the mechanism of a crawler's bucket. The remover probably dropped it because it weighed a lot- must've been 20 pounds, easy. What would they do with it, anyway? We put up a barbed wire fence and a gate to stop the transient traffic. The mayor (small town) got wind of it and told the owner that he had to have a survey done, which was going to be about $1200. The owner (and I) put it all up anyway, without the survey. The city came out and surveyed the place, only to find out that the shop owner owned the land all the way into the middle of the main street into town. Of course, it had been used for years so he had no legal standing on getting that part back. But the fence and gate stayed.

Funny story about people driving through that lot. It was dirt, first of all, and we shared it with a hauling company that used to herd cattle up a ramp into a trailer after the auction that was just a bit to the west from us, to be taken for slaughter. When the truck got back to their building, the guys went in and hosed all the fertilizer out of the trailer. We had this one guy with a '65 Ford Galaxy who used to race through the lot like he was Parnelli Jones, or something. Well. One day he went speeding through the lot and spun out in the big puddle of fertilizer that had just been washed out of one of those trailers, and got stuck. Not bad enough, he stalled the engine and ran the battery dead trying to start his car.

ETA- Tim's got the right idea about a sprinkling of lime on the tractor seat.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote