View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Re: 4-wire alternator wiring question...

The more modern the car, the fancier and more expensive the accessories. You took the plunge when you upgraded to the serpentine belt and bracket system with accessories. I sure would like to do that.
I think once you get the resistor in the circuit and get things going you will probably love the alternator. When I looked at the tons of "help I just fried my CS130 alternator" posts on the internet, especially in all the Camaro forums, my perception of the research others have done very often boils down to GM used a 510 ohm 1/2 Watt resistor on the L wire in the various adapters or pigtails GM sells for $20 to $40.
If I were in your shoes I believe I would get parts to match the 89 Blazer because that is where the serpentine belt and bracket system came from.
I first upgraded to a cheap Chinese 12SI alternator, which is a V-belt alternator, and it only lasted a year. Then I did lots of research and decided to take the plunge and get a CS144, which is very modern and came with a serpentine pulley installed, but still somewhat compatible with my V-belt bracket and pulley. I had to file the top adjuster bracket to make the groove a little wider.
I still have all my original wiring, and used adapters to wire the alternator. At some point I will probably unwrap the factory wiring harness and replace some of the wires and solder and shrink wrap the resistor directly into the harness so I don't use adapters any more.
I believe I've paid for the last alternator this truck will need me to pay for, because I got a lifetime warranty one from O'Reilly. Unless I do a serpentine belt system swap like you did, then I'll be back to no warranty and good to go for as long as the donor alternator works.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote