View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #3
70StepsideC10

Re: American Racing VN510 Wheels, any experiences?

I recently put the AR VN515 wheels on my truck. I also went through the same headache of trying to figure out what would fit and doing a lot of measuring. The Wheelrite tool was suggested to me by geezer#99 as well, and while it is a great tool it was just too expensive for me, I'm in Canada and it would have been well over $100 to buy here. So I decided to make one out of wood using the Wheelrite as an example. Mine isn't as adjustable, but I was looking at two different sizes of wheels so I just made my tool to simulate those sizes. This can be adjusted between 15", 17" and 18" diameters using different combinations of the holes to bolt it together. The top piece that simulates the width of the wheel I just made two different ones with the appropriate length and backspacing and they can be unbolted from the L-brackets and swapped. I also drilled a couple holes at the ends of the top pieces to insert some rigid wire to simulate the tire, again just like the Wheelrite tool. Altogether it took me probably an hour to make this, saved a bunch of money, and was extremely helpful in determining what would fit. Using it I did find out that the 9.5" wide wheels I wanted to use on the rear would not fit because they had too much backspacing, so this saved me from spending a lot of money on wheels and tires that would not have fit.
Attached Images

70StepsideC10 is offline   Reply With Quote