Thread: 55.2-59 my '59 short bed build
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Re: my '59 short bed build

i have decided to keep the suspension leaf springs front and rear, but switching from lowered 2wd to lifted 4x4.

on Saturday, i picked up a rolling 87 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 chassis. the body had already been removed, so i wasn't dragging home a lot more than i needed. i removed the axles, and cut the frame up into 3' sections to be able to dispose of easily. i only paid $550 for it, so pretty cheap way to see if this fits, and if so, i may switch over to 1-ton axles alter for better off-road durability.

front springs:
i did a bunch of internet sleuthing, and found that springs for a 1976 jeep cj5 have a similar width and length to the stock front leaf springs, but come in a variety of lift heights and spring rates. i have a pair of 4" lift springs coming tomorrow so i can test fit them, and hopefully get the front live axle mocked up in the frame and see where that puts me for tire clearance.

for the rear:
still not sure how i will handle the rear yet...i keep thinking that i might be best to remove the stock '59 rear leaf spring hangers, and bolt on the ones from the '87 frame, so i can use '87 chevy springs, and that opens up wide range of spring options there as well...
although it would be easier to just get stock width springs made in the right height and bolt them on, but that's custom springs vs. off the shelf options.

i'll post pics once i get the springs...

53 buick special - straight 8 sled - blow through turbo
47 gmc - flatbed hot rod build
99 ford econoline e350 - 4x4 converted family roadtrip/overlanding rig AKA 'Monstervan' AKA 'Daddy-Van'
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote