View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #205
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

I'm not running a museum truck. If a newer technology, like 40 Channels is usable, I'll have that. [8-Track always did suck. I prefer cassettes.]
I used to run a Radio Shack TRC-421 solid state radio mobil in the Orange Stepside with the previously-mentioned antenna configuration. I had a '67 K/10 Suburban and ran a solid state Messenger 4175 thru a fibreglas 1/4 wave whip on a ball mount on the passenger side rear. When I bought my '71 GMC Jimmy in 1995, I got a new SSB rig from Radio Shack, and some dual short whip ''rabbit ears'' to mount on the mirrors outboard. That never got installed. The dual stubs didn't fit my mirrors. I got a cell phone. The SSB went into storage, NIB, and was forgotten. A few years ago, I found it again and ran it temporarily in my '92 Subaru with a magnetic stubby. Not the same world I had left though.
I still have a 5/8 RS ground plane on my roof. I tried the SSB with it, but no intelligent life is out there anymore. Well, 'intelligence' is a relative thing in this context. It used to be teeming with semi-intelligent life, but they've gone extinct, I fear...
OVER

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-22-2020 at 03:24 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote