View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 10:45 PM   #68
PanhandleShantyman

Re: Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87gt View Post
I confirmed that the fuel pump is in front of the motor mount so it looks like it’s a 250 i6. Thank you guys for the tip to positively ID the motor.

I’ve had the car sitting in the garage overnight and came out in the morning to a very strong gas smell that was starting to find its way to the house.

It looks like there is a gas leak between the carburetor and intake manifold. It drained the little fuel filter container overnight.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a carb rebuild kit?

I’ve included a pic of the fuel leak
Are you still chasing down the fuel smell/leak problem?

You're working on the fuel lines and tank now and it sounds like some of the issue is coming from those connectors, but also, looking at this picture, a few thoughts come to my mind about the carburetor. Since fuel is draining without restriction through the carburetor (I think you have a Monojet?) and also leaking out past the gasket to the manifold, you may have one or more of these problems:

1. What limits the flow of gas into the carburetor (assuming no leak right at the fuel line to in-carb fuel filter) is a float valve system basically similar to what limits flow of water into a toilet tank. Fuel flow into the carb float tank is turned off when the float rides high enough on the top of the fuel supply in the float tank. (Fuel supply from the float tank *to the engine* is more complicated and involves other downstream circuits-which involve other little passages and mechanical parts that you should also check for clogs if you have power problems). Now, the plastic float inside the Monojet carburetors is reportedly solvent permeable over decades, and people say they just get totally soaked and lose buoyancy, and sink in the float basin, leaving the float valve permanently open, which could be contributing to your fuel leak issue? So you may want to replace the float. also possible, your float could be buoyant but the arm holding it could be bent at the wrong angle leaving the valve permanently open no matter what the level of gas in the float tank. The float setting is something you can adjust.
2. Might want to make sure there's no debris interfering with the function of the float valve itself, which might be another reason for the gas supply to stick open/cause your leak. A wise old truck guy I talked to said he'd actually had an under-hood fire start this way.
3. I suppose there could theoretically be a defect in the in-carb fuel filter itself, or at its mounting to the fuel line, that could cause a leak, and you'd want to at least glance at this area too.
4. clearly you'd want to put a new gasket at the carb to manifold interface.

There's probably also going to be sediment in the float tank inside the carburetor (just wipe it out) and in the tiny passages leading out of it (which you can blow out with compressed air). If you don't get this cleaned out, you'll have fuel supply problems and the truck will stall out.

Once your fuel supply issues are sorted, and you have done the basic tuneup so you know whether you need to get into the carburetor next, you may find the info on this page useful in figuring out how your Monojet works: https://www.carburetor-parts.com/monojet-technical-help There are also many useful links searchable on this board, and some helpful videos findable on Youtube for almost any procedure you want to learn about.

-Will
PanhandleShantyman is offline   Reply With Quote