View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #21
ElKotze

Re: trailing arms: Goodmark vs. ECE vs. OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
So we respectfully agree to disagree.

Yes & no.... Flex beyond articulation is unecessay. Flex for articulation is quite necessary & the triangle (the rear T/A susension on C10's) used the original material choices for that. No flex for articulation means binding. Binding vs. smooth articulation can unsettle the suspension. A suspension that gets disturbed @ the wrong time is unpredictable.

On the subject of rear sway bars.... Rear bars are used for specific reasons. Many install a rear sway bar 'because'. Because why? Because it's necessary? Because other guys have one? Because different vehicles have them & this GEN of C10 didn't so adding one is 'better' vs. not having one? If you install a rear sway bar, what size bar are you specifying?

A rear bar if needed is supposed to compliment the front so the size up front matters when deciding what rear bar. Adding a sway bar to a T/A set-up that utilizes solid tube arms & non-flex style front bushings won't hurt simply because the set-up is already limiting articulation.

It's your truck so use whatever you think is best (solid tube arms, poly bushings, & add a rear bar). Normal driving down the street to the burger joint, Cars & Coffee, or local show won't stress the suspension enough to notice a difference.
Good points, and I agree in part. For my next build I was planing on tube arms because in my (simple) mind they would partly act like a sway bar IF used with poly bushings, regular rubber would support binding, as you stated. This pickup will be a street truck, no off-road use, that can go down the straight line slightly quicker than stock. And I agree, a binding suspension would be undesirable in any circumstance, while a rather stiff rear end would (hopefully) enhance traction.
'72 C20 Cheyenne Super, 396, TH400
'66 C60, 292, 4speed
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote