View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #31
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Keep up the good work. When you cut the dodge frame to lengthen it, I recommend boxing it while you have it open. These frames like to flex while in stock form and crack in front of the rear axle.
Good to know

tonight's progress:
I had noticed quite a bit of gear lube on the concrete under the dodge, so the other day I crawled under there and determined that the transfer case was leaking around the output shaft. I went to the parts store and got the appropriate output shaft seal and fluid. However, the fluid that is required for the transfer case is ATF. The fluid on the ground was NOT atf. So a little reading on the cummins forum, and found that sometime the tranny output shaft seal will leak and will appear as though the TC is leaking. It sure looked like to me though, that the transfer case was leaking.

So tonight I start tearing it apart. First I drop the driveshaft, one of the ujoint cap pops off as I'm taking it off, and there is a thick paste and a needle missing. So I will be replacing that.

When I pull the drive shaft out of the TC, sure enough: gear lube comes out. I try to pull the two piece TC output shaft cover as a unit with no luck. So I have to pull off the first cover, then remove a snap ring, and then remove the second one. The lock ring was a PITA since there wasn't the little holes to put the lock ring pliers into, but I managed to get it out. Then slid the 2nd cover off. I started to clean it all up in the parts washer. I'm going to go ahead and replace that rear output shaft bearing that is in the second cover since I"m there and have potentially damaged it with the water/solvent in the parts washer.

Nothing real exciting, but a little work that will make the truck a little more reliable in the end.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote