View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #16
JMD

Re: What brand of hydraulic roller lifters is good for Chevy 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Careful...

With these cross-bar lifters, it is very easy to "flip" the lifters the WRONG way on the cross-bar and install them incorrectly this way. They will still slide down into the bores and look/feel/taste just like they are installed correctly however when you peer down at the roller where it meets the cam, you'll notice that if you have the cross-bar upside-down, the roller will be canted at about 30 degrees or so off to the left or right rather than straight lined up with the cam lobe.

That is... The roller on the lifter will be hitting the lobe, but the roller on the lifter, due to the incorrect orientation of the cross-bar, is now NOT rolling straight along the lobe but it is being dragged across the lobe at an angle. It may still roll but will eventually destroy the cam and the lifter.

Many manufacturers now have a Brand logo on the crossbar which helps if you pay attention to it once installed. If you see the logo upside-down, that set of lifters is installed just as described above and will destroy the cam/lifters and send shrapnel throughout your oiling system.

With no logo or other marking on the cross-bar, you're on your own to make sure you have the lifters and cross-bar oriented properly for correct roller to cam alignment.

We did see another fellow some time back post about how his retro-fit lifters had failed and destroyed his engine. The picture he posted showed at least one pair of lifters were installed as mentioned above.

These latest Howards 91161 have an arrow and the word UP on the cross-bar. Note in the picture when the arrow is pointing down ( the wrong way ) the lifter rollers are no longer oriented straight.

Hth,

-klb
I'm pretty sure that fellow was me! I'll be kicking myself for that one for a long time...
Attached Images