Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 10:38 PM   #64
joedoh

Re: Wife's 48

cardboard freight (harbor freight) sells those copper welding heat sinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
When it did, if I put a weld dot just off the edge, when I went back to the edge it seemed to hold.

Is this the way you would do it?
I know you were asking biglass but I will throw my two cents in. I like a tiny gap between the pieces I am welding together, and I hit the first weld in the gap so it grabs both sides. then I tack the next time TO THAT TACK, letting the heat pick up both sides of the gap.

if I try to hit the edge of metal first it blows right through, it seems like tacking to the tack keeps the energy on the thicker weld.

here is what I am talking about with both the gap and the tacks

IMG_6700 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

that metal was thin and old, if I had tried a lap weld it would have blown through both sides. also notice how I rotated around the part to keep heat from building up in one area. I would quench with a damp rag once in a while, and if the metal was moving a bit I used a sledge on the back side like a dolly and a flat head hammer on the front side to "ring" the tack and take some of the stress out of it.

you look like you are doing fine! it will mud up and disappear as long as you dont leave any pinholes. if you are going for a metal finish you have a lot of dolly work in store haha!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote