View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Old65C10

Re: Bought a new to me 90 Sub, came with a few surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
First off, look at all the positives. New engine, tranny rebuilt, and a ton of new parts. All these things add up VERY quickly, so you are way ahead financially. I spent way over $4300 and still don't have what you have at that price point. So take a breath....you're good! My wife and I joke, it's my $10,000 ($3500) Blazer. I'll never get what I put into it back. Not for a LONG time!

The slow windows are to be expected. The motors get weak and the as you noted, the window seals need to be replaced. That's one to add to the list.

AC, well it would be a crap shoot if you had it working. A lot of times, they just don't work due to cracks in lines, etc. Do you have rear AC too? To do it right, you'll want to replace all the lines, new compressor, new dryer, new condenser, and then fill with R133, or whatever it is. The R12 is old and very hard to find. And when you do, it's expensive. Just convert it over.

Heater core. That's a job, but can be done. You just have to take the front dash apart.

And dashes....well they've gone up HUGE for OEM. I'd recommend Dashes Direct. Looks to be a decent reproduction.

What tranny do you have? A rebuilt TH400 (3 Speed), or did they somehow put in the 4L80e (4 Speed)? That would be a HUGE bonus!

Paint is a given and expected. Just the norm of these truck. Most important is rust. Hopefully it's minimal. I keep chasing my rust....hate it.
Well maybe I set the wrong tone, I am thrilled with what I got, no disappointment at all.
All the positives clearly out weigh the bad things. I know the cost of all the mechanical things that got done. A new engine and trans are far more than the $4300 I paid. I am ordering new tire today or tomorrow and will sell off the big rims.
The heater core is no big deal. Yes, a lot of work, but I am a mechanic. Have been for 30 years. I have done many many heater cores on far worse than a Chevy truck.
This is my 6th square body, I also have a 65 C10, but it is a project.
As for rust, there is none. There is some surface rust below the rear doors, but it is not cancer. The paint I knew going into this that I would never find an 80's GMC/Chevy with good original paint, it was bad a few years after it was sold.
My biggest issue is that I want to fix it all right now and I need to just look at the big picture, prioritize the the things that need work first and wait on the other stuff.
First to go is the wheels, they are causing poor handling, it is twitchy and wants t follow ruts. Stock tires will fix that.
Next is the heater core, it is summer now, but winter will be here soon and that is one of the reasons I got it, I get snow here.
The radio is a cheap and easy fix, window motor is also cheap. All the other stuff I can do in time.
As I said, overall I am thrilled with it. I know I got a good deal on it and I got more than I paid for. Rust free Suburbans are hard to find and they seem to be headed towards the $10K mark if they are any good.
Having all the major mechanical stuff done for me is huge.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote