View Single Post
Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #55
Fiftee3

Re: Fiftee3's suspension & bagging project

Sunday July 3rd:

First off, A very happy 4th to all. Be happy, be careful, be safe...

Very slow going here. I have always had some trouble with the carter/webers I got from Langdon. They work great, throttle response good, but always seem to leak slightly. Really have never been able to pinpoint why, or where.
I even went to an electric fuel pump so I could turn it off when I returned from a ride and let the fuel run out. Seemed to help. I thought maybe the fuel would rise and leak from somewhere. Just always seemed to be a slight odor and slight drip on the bottoms.
So I thought I'd try something. Te carbs mount on adapters. They mount to the intake.
Now Fentons intake is setup so the carbs are more level than the angle of the motor. My Offenhauser is straight, so it is angled also with the angle of the motor.
I bought some aluminum brazing rods I saw in HF the other day and bought them. 18.00. Now, every time I try something like this, it never works, however, It actually worked pretty good.
Name:  IMG_0112.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  55.8 KB

I cut thru the botom with a sawzall almost thru to other side. Then took my grinder and widened the cut...

Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  66.8 KB

Then clamped the top and bottom of the cut together bending them to meet with a pair of welding vise grips. Clamped vise grip in my vise, heated the entire adapter with map gas until the rod started to melt on its own, then it all just seemed to flow pretty well. Let cool down and presto...

Name:  IMG_0115.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  83.5 KB

Carbs are now more level. Will it stop the leak? Who knows. But at least I blew 18 bucks, spent 3 hrs and had a little fun!

Name:  IMG_0116.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  108.9 KB[/COLOR]

My 53 IFS air bagged Upgrade Here

One of my threads for this build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12#post7662512
Fiftee3 is offline   Reply With Quote